We all have to wash our hair, right? But finding a shampoo that will keep our locks cleansed, fresh, and looking incredible isn’t always as simple as it should be. For something that many people consider to be an essential product, it isn’t easy to find your perfect partner. Review our shampoo buyer’s guide.
However, it doesn’t need to be such a huge challenge. When you start to learn a little more about how shampoo works and what you need to consider when buying, finding a good shampoo suddenly becomes a lot easier.
- 1 What’s So Important About Finding The Right Shampoo?
- 2 Things To Consider When Buying Shampoo
- 3 The Best Shampoos
- 4 R+Co Television Perfect Hair Shampoo
- 5 Oribe Gold Lust Repair And Restore Shampoo
- 6 REDKEN All Soft Shampoo
- 7 VIRTUE Recovery Shampoo
- 8 REDKEN Extreme Shampoo
- 9 Conclusion
What’s So Important About Finding The Right Shampoo?
The internet is littered with pages that lure you in with quizzes like ‘Find the right shampoo for your hair but in truth, an automatically generated answer really isn’t going to help you find a suitable product. One of the most important things that you need to do is to get to know your hair and how it reacts to certain products.
Have you ever used a shampoo that has resulted in your hair feeling as though you have just run it through a bowl of caramel? Or perhaps a previous shampoo has left your hair looking lackluster and dry. These are all common complaints and quite often, consumers will blame the shampoo. However, more often than not, the issue is with your hair type.
Using a shampoo that is not designed to meet the needs of your hair won’t end well. What’s more, if you attempt to use a shampoo that is designed to meet the opposite needs of your hair, any problems may be exacerbated. For example, if you use a shampoo for oily hair on hair that is brittle and dry, it’s only going to make things worse.
This is the main reason that taking the time to source a great shampoo for your hair type is critical. But much more than this, when your hair looks and feels great, this can boost your mood and leave you feeling a lot more confident. That is not something to be taken for granted!
Things To Consider When Buying Shampoo
OK, we admit it, you could just pop to the local drugstore or supermarket and pick up the first shampoo you see. You might get lucky and find that it pairs well with your needs, but this is unlikely, In the quest to find the perfect shampoo, you need to be prepared to do your research. We have outlined a conditioner buyer’s guide too! This might seem daunting, but really it is just a matter of looking at the following considerations.
One of the most important things that anyone should think about before committing to a particular shampoo is the ingredients. This is especially important if you have sensitive skin or are prone to reactions. Many ingredients in shampoos are organic and these are excellent for your hair and scalp. However, there are some chemicals that you ought to steer well clear of in our shampoo buyer’s guide.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate features in many shampoo products and is often included to help the shampoo foam and lather. However, it can also have extremely toxic effects and can be very drying for the hair.
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is very similar to the previous chemical and used for the same reasons. This may strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it in worse condition.
- Parabens are frequently used in shampoo and various other cosmetic products as a preservative. That’s all well and good until you learn that they can penetrate through the skin and into the body. They have also been seen to boost the growth of tumors and research shows that they can do this in very small amounts.
- Sodium chloride or salt as we more commonly know it is often included in shampoo to make the solution thicker. However, this can dry out the hair and should be avoided.
- Formaldehyde is similar to parabens in that it is used to preserve the shampoo and prevent bacteria growth. However, it can cause severe allergic reactions in humans thanks to how easily it is absorbed through the skin.
- Silicone is often used in shampoo to give the illusion of shiny, healthy hair. But over time, this will build up leaving your hair looking and feeling anything but healthy.
- Alcohol is used in many cosmetic products but it can have a drying effect that can take away from the hair’s natural shine.
Another important thing that you should consider when purchasing shampoo is the type of hair that you have. While there are shampoo products that are designed ‘for all hair types,’ there are those that target specific problems. If there is an issue with your hair, for example, it is dry from heat styling or you want to maintain the color and protect the hair after dying, there are products designed to meet these needs.
- If you have dry or damaged hair, you should be looking for shampoos that claim to hydrate the hair. These will contain a lot of oils and will deeply moisturize each hair. However, do be careful that the oils are natural; things like Argan oil are great and won’t cause damage to the hair.
- For those with an oily scalp, it is important to counterbalance this by using shampoos that contain ingredients to remove excess oil but maintain a level of harmony on the scalp. While it can be tempting to be lured in with the promise of shampoos that claim to do this, be aware that Lauryl Sulfates may be a key ingredient. Natural options such as tea tree oil are a great alternative.
- If you have curly hair, there is a chance that it can get pretty unruly; but don’t worry, there are products to help with this. Again, you will want a shampoo that adds a lot of moisture to the hair so looking for softening and conditioning oils is a must. Coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba oil are all great natural products to help with this.
- Some of us have very straight hair that is lacking in volume. Natural proteins such a keratin are found in our hair and nails so shampoo that contains these will help to keep the hair in excellent condition. Furthermore, when you’re looking for volume, they can help to make the hair appear thicker and fuller.
- There are those of us who suffer from thinning hair and there are a lot of shampoos on the market for this problem. However, many of them contain chemical ingredients that may not be ideal. That being said, there is some suggestion that natural oils such as peppermint and lavender can have a positive effect but more research is needed to clarify this.
The Best Shampoos
The beauty market is overwhelmed with shampoo products, so much so that even the experts lose track of which products are available. However, once you have familiarized yourself with what to look for in a shampoo, finding a good product becomes a lot easier.
But just to be sure, we have scoured the globe to find the best shampoos on the market, and we have to admit, we’ve fallen in love with these five in our shampoo buyer’s guide!
R+Co Television Perfect Hair Shampoo
If the super funky bottle isn’t enough to lure you in and cause love at first sight, we just know that what’s inside is sure to entice. This shampoo is a blend of beautiful oils and natural ingredients that will boost the health of your hair in a totally new way.
It is completely free from nasty ingredients like parabens and minerals and instead uses the power of naturally derived ingredients like babassu seed oil. This acts as a deep conditioner, leaving your hair looking smooth, soft, and vibrant. Furthermore, you will benefit from juniper berry extract which is known to balance the oil on the scalp, perfect if you find that your hair gets greasy easily.
The R+Co Television Perfect Hair shampoo is a vegan formula and 100% cruelty free which is something that a lot of consumers are begging for right now. If you want lustrous locks that are totally camera-ready, then this is a product worth investing in and why we added to the shampoo buyer’s guide.
Oribe Gold Lust Repair And Restore Shampoo
Are you ready for a totally luxurious experience? If you are, then this beautiful shampoo may be just what you’ve been waiting for. The Oribe Gold Lust Repair and Restore shampoo comes in a stunning bottle that will look amazing in the bathroom. But much more than this, the unique formula is blended to give you glossy and healthy hair.
This rich and creamy formula is designed to soothe and replenish dry or damaged hair so if you’ve been going a little crazy with the straightening irons, then this may be the product for you. The Oribe Gold Lust shampoo boasts an amino acid complex that is designed to restore the hair strand by strand, adding strength and vitality.
What we love most about this product is that it is a sulfate and paraben-free shampoo leaving you confident that all the ingredients are natural and beneficial for your hair. With Argan to control frizz and add shine as well as caffeine and plant collagen to nourish and re-energize the scalp, you could say this is the shampoo that offers it all.
And if all of that wasn’t enough, this is a vegan shampoo suitable for all users, which is a bonus for our shampoo buyer’s guide.
REDKEN All Soft Shampoo
Dry and brittle hair can look and feel like a nightmare but when you find the right system to bring hair back to life, the transformation is incredible! That is exactly what you can achieve with the Redken All Soft Argan Oil shampoo. When it is used alongside the other products in the range, such as the conditioner and Redken Argan 6 Oil, hair is up to 15 times healthier and smoother.
If you feel as though your hair’s texture is lacking, this is a great product to try out. It contains a soy protein that can strengthen the hair and give added lift and texture, giving you a more voluminous look.
The shampoo also contains sepicap which is an important part of the formula where smoothness is concerned. This ingredient helps to restore dry ends leaving your hair looking in much better condition. This is great if you’ve over-styled the hair or used a lot of chemical colorants on it.
VIRTUE Recovery Shampoo
For people who have colored their hair multiple times, it is inevitable that dryness and damage will quickly follow. However, this incredibly nourishing shampoo can breathe life back into the hair and why we added to our shampoo buyer’s guide. It does this by gradually rebuilding strength with every wash and is packed with ingredients to boost repair.
The unique and intense formula fills in the gaps where damage has occurred and prevents product build-up leaving the hair looking naturally beautiful. Split ends and frizz will be a thing of the past and thanks to the shampoo’s ability to boost volume, the hair looks thicker and full of life.
The VIRTUE recovery shampoo contains baobab seed oil which is known for its intense hydration, fixing dry and damaged hair while working alongside grapefruit extract which boosts shine. Furthermore, the shampoo contains Alpha Keratin 60(ku) R which is a recently discovered protein known to replicate the natural keratin produced by our own bodies. If there was ever a way to rebuild the hair naturally, this is it!
REDKEN Extreme Shampoo
We have tried out a lot of shampoos but during our REDKEN Extreme Shampoo review, we discovered something amazing; this shampoo not only does wonders for brittle and dry hair, but it also prevents future damage! We are super excited about this because we love to style our hair but we know the importance of protecting it.
If you have very dry hair then this formula could be your saving grace. It contains extra proteins to help rebuild damaged hair. This protein provides three levels of nourishment for the hair, treating it from root to tip. While this is an intense treatment, it is also gentle enough to be used every day. There is also a matching conditioner and other products that can be used alongside it for full hair recovery!
When the entire system is used together, users have seen up to 75% improvement in future hair breakage which is definitely worth getting excited about!
Shampoo is a product that almost everyone in the world uses. However, when your hair has very specific needs, it is important that you look for a shampoo that will target your problems. Whether you have very oily hair that needs a balancing treatment or brittle hair as a result of heat styling, there are products that will suit you.
After considering several things, we have put together a list of five of the best shampoos in our shampoo buyer’s guide. These products will bring new life to hair that looks dull and broken while improving its condition and protecting it from future damage. All that’s left for you to do is to get lathering!
- Best Foundation For Textured Skin
- How To Apply Highlighter And Bronzer
- The Best Minimalist Makeup of 2021
- 5 Best Foundations For Makeup Artist Kit
- Five Best Face Masks For Sensitive Skin: Buyer’s Guide
- Concealer Buying Guide
- Foundation Buyer’s Guide
Last update on 2022-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API