Our eyes are one of the most beautiful parts of our face. A good eye look can really make your eyes pop, which then makes you look even more beautiful. Eyeliner has become an eye look essential, as it can enhance the size of your eyes. You can get really creative with eyeliner looks, and you want something that is going to last on your face. This is where most people turn to waterproof eyeliner.
However, at the end of the day, you still need to get that gorgeous eyeliner off your face. Below are some effective ways that will help you remove your waterproof eyeliner.
What you need to know about Removing Waterproof Eyeliner
When it comes to anything with the general eye area, you want to be careful. You need to be gentle, as you don’t want to be too rough, as this could lead to irritation around the eyes. Cotton pads and Q-tips will help you effectively and easily remove your waterproof eyeliner safely.
When removing anything to do with eye makeup, whether it is eyeliner or mascara, you should use downward motions. This way you aren’t dragging any skin, which could be irritating.
After you remove your waterproof eyeliner, you should always wash your face afterwards to really cleanse the area. Many people typically skip this step, but if you don’t wash your wash afterwards then residue and chemicals may be left on your skin. Which could then lead to other skin problems.
Once your face is clean, applying an eye cream will give your eyes more hydration that they may have lost during the cleaning process.
Using Makeup Wipes
Makeup wipes can easily remove makeup, dirt and waterproof mascara, therefore it should work on waterproof eyeliner. When it comes to waterproof eyeliner removal, you want to use makeup wipes that are soft and alcohol-free.
Makeup wipes use sodium lauryl sulfate, which if they are left on your skin can cause irritation. Therefore, after using the wipes, we would recommend washing your face using warm water.
- Take a makeup wipe and close your eyes.
- Place the wipe on the eyeliner and wipe the eyeliner away.
- Flip the wipe over to the clean side and repeat on the other eye.
- You don’t have to, but after both eyes are clean, it might be worth washing your face with water to avoid any irritation.
Using Makeup Remover
Makeup removers have been specially formulated for removing most kinds of makeup. They should also remove the eyeliner quite quickly. You should be choosing an oil-based makeup remover, as the oil will help dissolve the eyeliner more effectively.
Makeup removers shouldn’t cause any harm to your eyes. Excessive use may cause some redness, therefore after using the remover on your eyes, you should wash around your eyes with water.
- Apply some makeup remover to a cotton pad.
- Close your eyes and hold the pad over the eyeliner for about 15 to 20 seconds. By leaving the pad for this amount of time, the makeup remover should soften the eyeliner, so it should be easy to remove.
- After 15 to 20 seconds, wipe the area with the cotton pad to remove the eyeliner.
- Repeat this process until all the eyeliner has been removed.
- Once all the eyeliner is removed, then you should wash your face.
Micellar water can be used in the same way as makeup remover. However, it is worth mentioning that micellar water can contain perfumes and alcohol, which could be bad for your skin. If you want to use micellar water instead of makeup remover to remove your waterproof eyeliner, then you should use an alcohol-free version.
Using Coconut oil or Olive oil
Natural oils like coconut oil and olive oils are great methods for removing makeup. Both are very accessible and very safe for your skin. Coconut oil, in particular, is wonderful for your skin, as it leaves it smooth and soft, but it is also effective in removing makeup as well.
Although, coconut oil is very good for oily skin and could lead to blocked pores. This could then lead to irritation and breakouts.
- Pour either your coconut oil or olive oil onto a cotton pad.
- Close your eyes and place the cotton pad onto the eyelid.
- Gently rub and wipe the area.
- Once all the eyeliner has been removed, wash your face and moisturize.
Using Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is very gentle and does not affect your eyes in any way. What it does is dissolve the makeup very gently, and that then leads to very easy removal. A lot of beauty technicians really love using petroleum jelly, as it is easy to get a hold of and works really well.
- Spread a light layer of your petroleum jelly onto your cotton pad.
- Hold the pad onto your eyelid for around 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, gently rub the area and wipe the area. The eyeliner should be removed easily.
- A clean cotton pad can be used to wipe the eyelid that has petroleum jelly on it, if you prefer.
- Repeat the process until both eyelids are completely clean.
- Finally, wash your face with hot water.
What you Shouldn’t use to Remove Waterproof Eyeliner
We have suggested that you use makeup wipes as one of our methods for removing waterproof eyeliner. However, you shouldn’t use baby wipes. They may look similar, but they don’t contain the same ingredients that will help break down the eyeliner formula effectively.
Try to avoid cotton balls, as no one wants bits of fluff stuck in their eyes. Cotton is the best way to remove makeup, but cotton pads are the preferred choice. The cotton pad should always be wet when applying to your eye area, otherwise, it will just pull at the eye area, which could make it sore. Overall, the gentler you are and the gentler the products that you use around your eye, the better.
There are multiple ways that we have mentioned above that will help you successfully remove any waterproof eyeliner product. When removing waterproof eyeliner, you need to be gentle and take your time. You don’t want to rush and either harm your eye or cause any skin irritation. All the methods that we have given you will help you remove your eyeliner after a long day.